GI Cancer Support Services
When gastrointestinal (GI) cancer affects you or someone you love, our compassionate and caring team has your back. The University of Michigan Health Rogel Cancer Center offers support services that make managing treatment and recovery easier.
GI Cancer Support Services: Why Choose Rogel Cancer Center?
A cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming, but you don’t have to go it alone. The entire Rogel Cancer Center team is there for you and those you love at every step. We offer:
- Compassionate care: Our expert cancer doctors and clinicians get to know you and answer all your questions about your care. Specialists on our support team make sure you have all the information you want. Meet our team.
- Convenience and comfort: Your patient navigator offers a single point of contact for you and your family. You don’t need to make many phone calls or hunt for information on your own. Your navigator is your own personal resource.
- Smooth patient experience: Our goal is to get you the best health outcome in a way that disrupts your life the least. We focus on making the patient experience easy so you can focus on your care.
- Resources for recovery: We offer a range of supportive and educational services for you and your family. From diagnosis to treatment to survivorship, we make sure you have what you need to manage treatment successfully.
GI Cancer Support Services We Offer
At Rogel Cancer Center, you can count on personalized treatment for all GI cancer types in a compassionate and caring environment. We get to know you so we can help make the treatment experience as easy as possible with helpful support services. We offer:
Dedicated patient navigators
Our resourceful and friendly patient navigators are your personal resource. We advocate for you and coach those who want to advocate for themselves. Your navigator can help with:
- Coordinating and scheduling appointments with cancer specialists in our multidisciplinary clinics.
- Communicating your wishes and priorities to care team members.
- Information about resources available to you and your loved ones.
- Finding language interpreters when needed.
- Lodging, childcare and transportation arrangements.
- Questions you may have after seeing a specialist.
- Referrals to social work services.
Cancer care can raise complex financial questions. Rogel Cancer Center provides financial assistance services so you can worry less. Our financial counselors can help you:
- Get information you need about treatment coverage from your health insurance plan.
- Learn how to get any authorizations or referrals your insurance plan requires.
- Plan to manage costs your insurance plan doesn’t cover (out-of-pocket costs).
Mental health support services
A GI cancer diagnosis can create feelings of anxiety. You or your loved one might feel angry, depressed or guilty. Experts at Rogel Cancer Center offer supportive, short-term counseling services and referrals to mental health resources. You also have access to education and group programs within our Patient & Family Support Services.
We offer many therapy activities that help relieve stress and manage the mental and physical impacts of cancer treatment. Talk to your patient navigator or cancer specialist about how complementary therapies might benefit you. Our complementary therapies include:
- Art therapy
- Expressive writing
- Guided imagery
- Legacy therapy
- Music therapy
Supportive care for symptoms and side effects
During GI cancer treatment, you might experience side effects or symptoms that affect your daily activities. We offer supportive (palliative) care to help relieve the symptoms and side effects of cancer treatment. Our specialists provide:
- Cancer nutrition services to help you find foods you enjoy and maintain nutrition.
- Fertility counseling to help preserve your ability to have a baby.
- Information about alternative medicine therapies that can help relieve symptoms and strengthen your mind and body.
Request an Appointment
Learn more about GI cancer support services at Rogel Cancer Center. Call 734-647-8902 to make an appointment.