Maria Papaleontiou MD
Maria Papaleontiou, MD, is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine with an appointment in the Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes. She graduated medical school from the prestigious Charles University in the Czech Republic and subsequently spent several years conducting research at the Geriatrics Division at Weill Cornell Medical College. She then completed her internal medicine residency at Saint Peter's University Hospital in New Jersey and her endocrinology fellowship at the University of Michigan. She joined the faculty at the University of Michigan in 2013. She is a recipient of Fulbright and Howard Hughes Medical Institute scholarships.
Dr. Papaleontiou's practice focuses on thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer. She is especially interested in the treatment of endocrine disorders in older adults. She also conducts health services research in the field of thyroidology and aging.
- Charles University, 2004
- St. Peter's Medical Center, Internal Medicine, NJ, 2011
- IM Endocrinology, Metabolism & Diabetes, University of Michigan Health System, 2013
- Member of the American College of Physicians, 2008-Present
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, 2011-Present
- American Thyroid Association, 2011-Present
- Endocrine Society, 2011-Present
- American Geriatrics Society
- Internal Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
The impact of age and comorbidity on thyroid cancer decision making, subclinical thyroid disease in older adults, and undertreatment/overtreatment of thyroid disease in older adults.