Sarcoma Survivorship Clinic
During a survivorship visit, patients will be seen by oncologist, Dr. Laurence Baker. Dr. Baker has been treating sarcoma patients for more than 40 years. The appointment includes a comprehensive health and cardiac exam. He will also talk to you about your personal risk of long-term effects based on the sarcoma and the treatment (chemotherapy, radiation, surgery) you had including surveillance for sarcoma recurrence, screening for a new secondary cancer, monitoring long-term and late physical effects of cancer and its treatment, and the management of psychological and comorbid medical conditions. He will evaluate you to determine your risk of developing cardiovascular chronic illness including coronary artery disease, cardiac failure, arrhythmia, hypertension and cardiotoxicity from cancer treatment. Preventive measures are available for those patients that received radiation to the chest. This includes cholesterol lowering and assessing obesity with functional status. Patient lifestyles and diet will be modified before intervening with medication. Survivors will be followed for skeletal-muscular dysfunction, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hypertension, cardiac diseases, anxiety, depression, renal insufficiency, and obesity.
At the Sarcoma Survivorship Clinic, we will:
- review your recent medical and family medical history as well as do a physical exam
- identify and manage the effects of cancer and its treatment
- monitor you for recurrence of cancer
- refer you to be screened for other cancers (for example, mammogram or colonoscopy)
- provide counseling on healthy living habits such as diet and exercise. We can also refer you to a Dietician at the cancer center who can help you to make healthier meal choices. Good nutrition can help you achieve and maintain an appropriate weight; improve your energy; and decrease your risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
- if needed, refer you to a specialist on our team, which includes cardio-oncolology, nephrology, pulmonary medicine, orthopedic surgery, radiation oncology, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R), endocrinology, gynecology, and internal medicine
- provide a personalized Survivorship Care Plan
- communicate findings and share your Survivorship Care Plan with your primary care physician and your health care team
Learn more about Sarcoma Survivorship:
Visit the Sarcoma Survivorship Program pages.
Download and print the Sarcoma Survivorship Program Brochure.